Most motorists in the United States believe they always drive on the safe side and in compliance with the rules of the road. Unfortunately, there are a wide variety of dangerous driving habits that many drivers consider to be common. Bad driving habits often lead to car accidents, resulting in thousands of dollars being spent on repairs, fines, and increased auto insurance premiums.
Here are the most common bad driving habits that result in a crash:
- Distracted driving – Whether you are using a cellphone or doing your makeup, distractions can take your eyes away from the road, your hands away from the steering wheel, and your mind away from the main task of driving, causing you to have a delayed response to any unexpected traffic situations.
- Tailgating – Also known as “following too closely,” it is a common cause of rear-end collisions. If you are tailgating the driver ahead of you and he or she abruptly stops, you will not have enough space or time to brake without crashing into him or her.
- Speeding – Many motorists typically drive a few miles over the posted speed limit. Although it may not sound like a lot, an increase in speed also increases the amount of time necessary to stop.
- Rushing yellow lights – Many drivers see a yellow light and start driving like they are fleeing the cops. Not only are you breaking the law if the light becomes red, you are also creating a dangerous situation for cross traffic.
- Not using turn signals – Turn signals let the cars behind you know your next move. Failing to use your turn signals can lead to a crash.
- Reckless driving – Whether it is ignoring traffic signals or cutting off other drivers, reckless driving behavior can lead to both traffic tickets and accidents.
If you suffered an injury in an Idaho car accident caused by a negligent driver, contact our Pocatello personal injury attorney today.