Whether you are recovering financial compensation from another party’s insurance provider or your own, insurance companies may attempt to either reduce your payment or deny your claim altogether. Fortunately, there are several ways can do to protect yourself and your best interests in the event insurance adjusters refuse to pay you a fair settlement.
The following are helpful tips to help maximize your personal injury claim in Idaho:
- Obtain the legal services of an experienced attorney. If you suffered a serious injury because of an accident, a personal injury lawyer could make a significant impact on the outcome of your case. An attorney can determine all of your available legal options in order to obtain the most favorable outcome possible and protect your rights throughout the process. Whether your case gets settled inside or outside the courtroom, your lawyer will be on your side in every step of the proceedings.
- Avoid insurance tricks that can devalue your claim. Do not provide a recorded statement to the adjuster without your lawyer to protect you. Insurance companies are more concerned about profits rather than providing you with a reasonable settlement. Anything you say or do that can be used against you WILL be used against you. Let your attorney handle all your communications with the adjuster.
- Understand your insurance coverages. If you don’t know your insurance coverages, you can have your attorney explain all of them to you. Overlooking possible coverage options can result in money lost.
- Attend all of your doctor’s appointments and avoid gaps in between treatment. Missing doctor’s appointments or ignoring to take your prescribed medication may mean that your injury is not as serious as it was initially diagnosed. An adjuster will take advantage of this opportunity to reduce or deny your claim.
- Document your injury. You could either take photos that demonstrate the recovery process of and the extent of your injury or keep a post-accident journal that acts as a written record of how your injury has impacted your life. The more detailed, the better.
- Stay away from social media. There are many cases where social media negatively affected the outcome. When you post photographs or comments on sites like Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, they can be searched by anyone – including the defense to be used against you in court.
If you suffered a serious injury due to the negligence of another party in Idaho, contact our Pocatello personal injury lawyers at May Rammell & Thompson today.