Not all accidents are the same. Those involving trucks tend to be more complicated than those involving cars for a number of reasons. If you or someone you love was injured in a truck accident, this is not a situation you will want to handle on your own. To help field the intricacies of this area of law, it is vital to seek the skilled legal representation of an attorney who has experience in successfully handling such cases.
Here are some of the reasons why truck accident claims are drastically more complex than other accidents:
- Trucking Insurance: Trucking companies are not only required to carry substantial insurance policies by law, but must also have a separate insurance policy from the driver, since both parties could be legally liable for any accidents. Having to deal with various insurance companies, each of which wants to limit or eliminate your compensation, can be difficult. They will often attempt to lure you into an unreasonably low settlement offer, hoping that your injuries are so great that you will be desperate enough to accept it. It is important to refuse offers that will not begin to cover the costs associated with your injuries. Once you settle a case, you cannot reopen it.
- Proving Negligence: Proving liability in truck accident cases can be difficult since there might be insufficient evidence or falsified records. Additionally, there are other factors present in truck accident cases that simply do not exist in car accident cases. For example, truck drivers are required to comply with several regulations that are enforced by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), in addition to traffic laws, creating another facet in this type of case.
- Higher Damages: Given the sheer size and weight of a truck, the injuries that result from an accident involving one are often much more serious and catastrophic than those sustained in a car accident. This often means injury victims will need more extensive treatment, which will incur higher medical costs. Some of the losses often associated with such devastating injuries include:
- Lost Wages: If you have suffered injuries in a truck accident, you can recover compensation for the income you lose as a result of having to take time off for recovery, in addition to income you might lose if you are no longer able to return to work or continue in your current position.
- Pain and Suffering: Injuries cause more than physical pain. Accident victims can suffer from extreme emotional pain, trauma from the event itself, disabilities, and more. Some might even be in need of therapy to help cope with what transpired, so they are able to move forward.
- Permanent Disabilities: If the accident causes permanent injuries, compensation will also cover damages for your lost abilities.
You should not have to pay for the negligence of a trucking company or truck driver. Obtain legal representation as soon as possible.
Pocatello Truck Accident Lawyers
At May Rammell & Thompson, our Pocatello personal injury attorneys have a proven track record of success in handling trucking accident cases and would be honored to do the same for you. Filing a personal injury claim for a truck accident case is complex, especially since truck drivers are often backed by powerful corporations or government entities. You will need a fierce legal advocate on your side to ensure your rights are protected.
With more than 70 years of collective experience, our Pocatello personal injury attorneys possess the extensive knowledge of state and federal trucking regulations, driving laws, and court proceedings in order to secure the outcome you deserve. We will do whatever it takes to protect your rights while you recover from your injuries.
Contact us today at (208) 623-8021 to schedule your free consultation with one of our trusted staff members.