Are You Looking to Add to Your Family?
Adoption is an exciting and special journey for prospective parents. It’s the prospect of a new addition, hope for a fulfilled dream and the completion of a family unit. Making sure that the legal aspects of adoption are handled accurately and efficiently by experienced attorneys can help keep your focus on the upcoming addition to your family and relieve potential stress. Let our team of Pocatello adoption attorneys at May, Rammell & Wells help you navigate the adoption process to reach the favorable outcome you desire.
Requirements for Adoption in Idaho
Each state has specific laws and requirements regarding adoption in that state. Idaho is no exception and below are the requirements for the prospective parents looking to adopt.
- Any adult resident of Idaho over the age of 25, or 15 years older than the child, may petition to adopt including: single married or divorced persons, persons who are proven financially stable and able to provide for a child, are willing and able to care for a child, etc.
- If the person wishing to adopt is married, his or her spouse must consent to the adoption.
- Adoptive parent(s) must consent to a home study
- Adoptive parent(s) must prepare documentation including: driver’s licenses, birth certificates, marriage certificates, physical and mental health statements, financial statements, background checks, references and autobiographical statements.
The Idaho Consent Requirement
Idaho law states that consent by the biological parent is required for an adoption to take place. This written consent may come from:
- Both biological parents if the child is conceived within a marriage
- The mother of the child if born outside of wedlock
- The unmarried birth father (if paternity is established)
- Any legal guardian or conservator if the parent (s) are incapacitated
- The child if older than age 12, unless mentally unable to consent
Pocatello Adoption Attorneys: We’re Here to Help
If you are seeking adoption in Pocatello, let our team of Pocatello adoption lawyers walk through the process with you. We understand that adoption can be stressful and intimidating and you may not know what to expect. Let our attorneys help you with the legal process so that you can focus on the exciting adventure you are beginning.
Contact our team to discuss your child adoption at (208) 623-8021.